Friday, November 16, 2012

Sanity Break

As I'm sure you can imagine, this is not an easy blog to write.

So today, I'm taking a sanity break.  Today, I'm going to focus on all the blessings in my life, and practice being grateful for the many gifts God has given me.  Gifts like my sister (my friend), who might not even be my friend if we hadn't traveled together the rocky road of our mother's illness. 

Sanity breaks are important.  Dealing with dementia, whether in real time, in memory, or in theory, can wear you down.  Confronting such an issue takes energy.  It demands a lot from you.  So it is important to give yourself time to regenerate.  To stop and smell the roses, if you will.

Hmmm.  I just looked at this picture, which I took near my home in California.  I've been looking at this picture for a couple of years now, enjoying it, and this is the first time I've noticed that the trees aren't green.  Just goes to show you that life can still bring us beauty even if everything isn't perfect.  And maybe that field of yellow flowers is all the more beautiful because of the contrast against the gray of the trees.

I'm just saying, there is beauty to be found, even in a life dealing with sadness and loss.  It depends on where you choose to focus.  Today, I will focus on the beauty God gives me in His creation.

No comments:

Post a Comment